Monday, April 11, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER Playlist: Song 16

SONG #16: "Little Sparrow" by David Cook.

So. I didn't know the original before I knew this cover.

I heard the cover on American Idol (judgey judge judge, yeah I know) and I loved that it sounded so dark and haunting. Since then, I know and love the original--I love Dolly and always will, and I'm not sure why I didn't know this song--but David Cook's version still works for me on a very different level. It's darker and more desperate, and it has a hollow, echoey sound to it. David' Cook's version is something you'd scream outside at night, so it...worked well for this part of the book.

I need to start being cagey at this point. So you don't get an excerpt. Just know that they lyrics to this song have just about nothing to do with the scene in question, or with the book at all. It's all about the tone of it, and the desperation, and the darkness. But if you take bits out of context...it can work. So when I listen to this song, I let those lines jump out at me.

SAMPLE LYRIC:

If I were a little sparrow
O'er these mountains I would fly
I would find him, I would find him
Look into his lying eyes

I would flutter all around him
On my little sparrow wings
I would ask him, I would ask him
Why he let me love in vain


CORRELATING PASSAGE: (um...how about some Camus instead?)

"Originally innocent without knowing it, we were now guilty without meaning to be."

--p. 236




PLAYLIST SO FAR:

1) "Turn Up The Sun" by Oasis
2) "Island in the Sun" by Weezer
3) "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream
4) "Bigger Than My Body" by John Mayer
5) "New Soul" by Yael Naim
6) "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright
7) "Boys of Summer" by The Ataris
8) "Slang" by Def Leppard
9) "City Hall" by The Fray
10) "The Worst Part" by Motion City Soundtrack
11) "Time Won't Let Me Go" by The Bravery
12) "Hello Helicopter" by Motion City Soundtrack
13) "No One's Boy" by Marcy Playground
14) "You Can Do Better Than Me" by Death Cab for Cutie
15) "Sorry" by Pushmonkey
16) "Little Sparrow" by David Cook

1 comments:

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I've never heard this song and I've never listened to anything by David Cook. That needs to change now.