Thursday, April 7, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER Playlist: Song 12

SONG #12: "Hello Helicopter" by Motion City Soundtrack.

YEP. Cheating again. A little less this time, since this is faaar from my favorite Motion City Soundtrack song (though I still love it because, I mean...Motion City Soundtrack).

It's hard for a song to fit a mood better than Hello Helicopter fits Chase's 3rd summer. We're talking here about serious existential angst, but there's also the sense that you're sharing this angst with someone. This song is about "us," not "me."

And I think that's appropriate here, because Chase and Noah are, in every sense, with every pun intended, going down together.

The excerpt is from one of my favorite scenes. Noah's just home from, er, visiting Melinda, and he and Chase are standing on the deck, playing guitar, and trying to use her as a metaphor.

SAMPLE LYRIC:

Hello helicopter, have you heard the news?
No one gives a shit about the things they do
We all waste and consume, destroy and ruin everything we touch
It's easy not to think when you're not told that much

I'm not saying anything you haven't heard before
I'm just trying to understand the way we are


CORRELATING PASSAGE:

“And she talked about you,” he says.

“God, she always talks about you when I'm with her. Noah kisses me softer than that.”

“Chase is so much more passionate.”

“Noah takes his time.” I play a minor chord.

“Chase doesn't hesitate like you do.” Noah digs an almond out of the ice cream and tosses it off the balcony. “God. Why do we come back to this girl, Chase?”

--p. 180



PLAYLIST SO FAR:

1) "Turn Up The Sun" by Oasis
2) "Island in the Sun" by Weezer
3) "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream
4) "Bigger Than My Body" by John Mayer
5) "New Soul" by Yael Naim
6) "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright
7) "Boys of Summer" by The Ataris
8) "Slang" by Def Leppard
9) "City Hall" by The Fray
10) "The Worst Part" by Motion City Soundtrack
11) "Time Won't Let Me Go" by The Bravery
12) "Hello Helicopter" by Motion City Soundtrack

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Love MCS <3 I'm really enjoying your playlist so far. Definitely puts me in the mind of beach sand and sweaty bodies.

Liz. R said...

Motion City Soundtrack are amazing, I love this song :). Your music taste is pretty damn good (in my opinion, of course. I'm sure there are some [crazy] people out there who don't enjoy MCS).

hannah moskowitz said...

Total crazies.

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I love this MCS song! It's been a while since I've listened to these guys, but I have been the last couple of days because of you :)