Saturday, April 9, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER Playlist: Song 14

SONG #14: "You Can Do Better Than Me" by Death Cab for Cutie.

I love Death Cab for Cutie very, very dearly. This is the first song on the playlist that comes from the magical album Narrow Stairs, which is really the reason Invincible Summer exists. The album came out on May 18th, 2008, and I still hadn't listened to it a month and a half later, when I started IS. It was just sitting in my iTunes.

(side note: I think at some point in the past I've said that I wrote IS in 2009. That is a lie. I wrote it over summer 2008, and it sold in summer 2009. I have figured this out now. So IS is coming out, same as Break, about 2 years after I wrote it. Zombie Tag will be the quickest, and it's coming out about a year and a half after I wrote it. Publishing is slow! Fun facts.)

So one rainy day I had nothing to do and I wanted to write a book, so I listened to the album. And two songs in particular jumped out and shaped, respectively, the character of Noah and the end of the book.

This isn't either of those songs. This one made it to the playlist after, but it comes first chronologically. But I'm telling you all that stuff about Narrow Stairs because this is the point in the playlist where we get to the songs that directly inspired the book. The others were mostly just ones that worked. From here on out, they really contributed.

So let's do this.

This is a song about a girl.

SAMPLE LYRIC:

I'm starting to feel
We stayed together out of fear of dying alone
I've been slipping through the years
My old clothes don't fit like they once did
So they hang like ghosts of the people I've been


CORRELATING PASSAGE:

For the first time in a long time I think she looks beautiful. Not hot and not disgusting. Just beautiful.

--p. 223





PLAYLIST SO FAR:

1) "Turn Up The Sun" by Oasis
2) "Island in the Sun" by Weezer
3) "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream
4) "Bigger Than My Body" by John Mayer
5) "New Soul" by Yael Naim
6) "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright
7) "Boys of Summer" by The Ataris
8) "Slang" by Def Leppard
9) "City Hall" by The Fray
10) "The Worst Part" by Motion City Soundtrack
11) "Time Won't Let Me Go" by The Bravery
12) "Hello Helicopter" by Motion City Soundtrack
13) "No One's Boy" by Marcy Playground
14) "You Can Do Better Than Me" by Death Cab for Cutie

5 comments:

Heidi said...

You have fantastic taste in music. Sigh, Death Cab. *smiles contentedly*

hannah moskowitz said...

:)

Vee said...

Oooh, this album inspired one of my books, too! Although it was mostly Bixby Canyon Bridge that inspired me, the whole album had a huge influence as well.

Also, totally agree with Heidi on the fantastic taste in music thing. Death Cab! Motion City Soundtrack! :D

hannah moskowitz said...

Vee--BCB may show up later...

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

Woot for Death Cab!! I'm loving the music you've included on the IS soundtrack. I feel like I should listen to all these songs while I read...I just might.