Tuesday, April 5, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER Playlist: Song 10

SONG #10: "The Worst Part" by Motion City Soundtrack.

Remember when I said I don't use Motion City Soundtrack, since I have some crazy obsession with them and know all their songs like they were born from my own brain? I lied! About the first part. Not the brain part. That part's real.

But! I don't use my favorites of their songs (um, #magicgayfish playlist notwithstanding, I guess) and I'm totally right when I say that they don't work as well as other songs. The temptation to rock out to them without listening to the words is totally there and totally a problem. I have to really concentrate if I'm going to think about the song the way I want to.

But! Eventually you get to that place with all the songs, once you've listened through the playlist a zillion times, so you're constantly in that weird interstitial space between trying to concentrate on the writing and reminding yourself waitwait this part is important.

So. The Worst Part. Back in our last song, if you recall, SOMETHING BAD HAPPENED. And after bad things happen, there tends to be aftermath. This is the last song of the second summer, which is appropriate because it is the 10th song on a 20 song playlist. Halfway through the book, halfway through the playlist. Convenient!

(We will finish going through the playlist on April 15th, therefore, meaning giveaways will start on the 16th and continue through the 19th, so be aware of that.)

And so. This song.

The most important thing to know about Invincible Summer is that it is a story about a family.

SAMPLE LYRIC:

All the same sad lives
All the love that disappears
We are aching bones
And wasted years

We have few regrets
Save it for every night alone
In the sinking ship
And haunted home

CORRELATING PASSAGE:

His arm whirlwinds, scattering sand everywhere. “Fuck this fuck this fuck this fuck—”

I can't take it anymore. I stand behind him and put my arms around his waist.

--p. 159




1) "Turn Up The Sun" by Oasis
2) "Island in the Sun" by Weezer
3) "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream
4) "Bigger Than My Body" by John Mayer
5) "New Soul" by Yael Naim
6) "Across the Universe" by Rufus Wainwright
7) "Boys of Summer" by The Ataris
8) "Slang" by Def Leppard
9) "City Hall" by The Fray
10) "The Worst Part" by Motion City Soundtrack

2 comments:

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

I love Motion City Soundtrack. Maybe not quite as much as you, but I do love them and this song fits so well with the correlating passage. I mean, it is perfect for it.

hannah moskowitz said...

:) It's a great song.