Tuesday, March 29, 2011

INVINCIBLE SUMMER Playlist: Song 3

SONG #3: "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream.

Yes! Before you can get riled up, yes, this is a cover!

This is a good time to mention that I am a HUGE fan of using covers in playlists. It's a great solution for songs that you're too familiar with but still want to use. Put a different band and a different tempo behind it, and you're forced to listen to the words in a way you ordinarily wouldn't. Plus, sometimes a cover has a more necessary vibe than an original.

But this doesn't mean that I don't know/love the originals. I promise that I am fully aware that every cover I use is a cover. The Cure yaaaay. I know what's up.

Also, how great is the name Gatsby's American Dream? For Real.

So. Just Like Heaven for me is a carnival and kissing song. This is possibly due to the scene in Adventureland. It's a song about first love.

And carnivals. Also there's a ton of ocean imagery.

How convenient.

This is the first example of a song directly influencing the book. This song is the reason this scene is set at a carnival. Later, the songs become way more blatant in their relationship to the plot. Yeah, I make songs do my work for me sometimes.

SAMPLE LYRIC:

"Show me how you do that trick
The one that makes me scream" she said
"The one that makes me laugh" she said
And threw her arms around my neck
"Show me how you do it
And I promise you I promise that
I'll run away with you
I'll run away with you"


CORRELATING PASSAGE:


There's no one else under the pavilion, and with the amusement park bouncing off Bella's eyes and the dusty pink of her skirt, I can almost pretend we are a hundred years old and we know everything. When, really, the only thing I know is that I'm going to kiss her, but I'm not going to try anything more. And she's smiling because she knows it too.

--p. 48





PLAYLIST SO FAR:
1) "Turn Up The Sun" by Oasis
2) "Island in the Sun" by Weezer
3) "Just Like Heaven" by Gatsby's American Dream

6 comments:

Anna said...

I freaking LOVE this CD! And I have this cover on an instant loop on my IPod too-there is no shame in loving a good cover.

hannah moskowitz said...

It's such a good CD. I got it because there was a Motion City song on it...typical me.

Liz Czukas said...

Still loving this playlist concept! And I totally agree with you on covers. Sometimes, you don't appreciate an original completely until someone else reinterprets it and brings out some aspect of it you never noticed, you know? Speaking of which, I wholeheartedly endorse The Civil Wars' "Dance Me to the End of Love."

Looking forward to tomorrow's post!

- Liz

Bonnie said...

I'm old enough to remember the original when it was released on the radio waaay back in the neon/crimped hair/leg warmers vs black/white face/leather days of my youth... LOVE this cover! :P

Can't wait for IS to release... just a few more weeks, right?

Nikki (Wicked Awesome Books) said...

All the Punk Goes albums are fantastic. The Punk Goes 80's and Punk Goes Acoustic are my favorites though. And as much as I loved the original version of this song, this one makes it seem younger...if that makes any sense at all.

Melissa said...

I've never heard this cover of the original Cure song, but I really, really love it. Thanks!