Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Once Upon a Time

Once upon a time there as a girl named hannah who wrote a book about sparkly fairy prostitutes.

I wrote this book about a billion (okay, two, but that's a lot when you're young and impatient) years ago, and it's without a doubt the most taxing project I've ever attempted, let alone completed. First of all it's a high fantasy, which is kind of ridiculous for me, and second of all it's from the point of view of a girl, and it was my first time trying that.

By all rights I really shouldn't have tried to write this book, because at no point while I was working on it did I honestly believe I could do it. This was something for a better writer, or a smarter writer, or really an OLDER writer. It was an ambitious project I didn't really have any business attempting.

But there were these weird little moments and images that stuck in my mind and I couldn't get rid of them. A girl who keeps the pieces of her father in a jar. A fairy learning to read. People who live on tightropes in the sky. A boy with one arm and two dark eyes, two gnomes starving and taking care of a sheep in a cottage somewhere they have never travelled (name that poem), and kisses that scrape glitter off faces.

So I finished this book. And I edited it again, and again, and again. And this beautiful amazing girl made me beautiful amazing pictures whenever it all seemed too hard.

One upon a time there was a little book that was so weird and so strange that it never should have sold.

But it did.

So once upon a time there was the happiest damn hannah in the world.

I am so incredibly amazed too announce that SCRAPBOOK sold in a two-book deal to Tamra Tuller at Chronicle.

Once upon a time my life was just too fucking awesome to deal with.



11 comments:

Kat said...

I can't post a gif??

Well.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m7kwtoVjMR1rziwwco1_250.gif

Elissa J. Hoole said...

yayyyyyy congratulations, hannah-face!

Jessica @ Step Into Fiction said...

Congratulations!!! I was really hoping this is what the news was related to & I am bouncing around with excitement! And two books?! That's just awesome. I can't wait to have these on my bookshelf!

Lydia Sharp said...

You worked so hard on this, Hannah. So so hard. I am ridiculously proud of you. ~hugs~

Kate Larkindale said...

That's awesome news! I can't wait to read it.

Steve MC said...

your eyes have their silence, but your books speak volumes.

Chelsea Pitcher said...

YAYYYY this is so awesome CONGRATS!!! The story sounds amazing!!!

hannah moskowitz said...

@steveMc <333

Paul Anthony Shortt said...

Fantastic! I can't wait!

Anonymous said...

Yes! That's so amazing, congrats!

rahkan said...

This is wonderful!!! Congratulations!