Tuesday, September 14, 2010

How about some Zombie Tag?

So one time we were camping in our backyard, and Graham said, “What do you think happens when you die?”

We used to do that sometimes. Lug our sleeping bags out and pitch our tent and lie there, pretending we had a campfire. We couldn't do it too much because Graham would always start wheezing from lying in the grass all night, but I loved it, and I was always pushing him to do it more often, which made Mom mad.

It was really late, but so loud from the frogs and the cicadas.

I said, “I don’t…think about stuff like that.”

“Everyone thinks about stuff like that.”

“Yeah, okay, but I don’t think you’re supposed to discuss it, you know? You’re supposed to think about it quietly to yourself.”

“Talking to you is like talking to myself.”

I hoped he didn’t see me smile at that, because it didn’t sound like a compliment, even though it felt like one. I think it was too dark for him to see, anyway.

He rolled over, and the grass crunched under him while he coughed. I stretched out. I was thinking about how good a s'more would taste right then.

He said, “Okay, so you die, and just…things keep happening without you?”

“Yeah.”

“That doesn't make sense.”

“Um...I think most people agree on that one.”

“But, like, how? Like...” He was quiet here for a long time. “Like I was just coughing, and then I stopped coughing, and everything was the same as it was before I started.”

“Yeah.”

“But coughing isn't dying. How can dying just be a thing?” He shook his head. “I don’t know, Wil. I don’t know. I don’t think things will go on without me.”

I laughed. “I can’t believe how self-centered you are.”

“It’s the curse of being the person the world revolves around. A blessing and a curse.”

“You're a drip.”

He said, “But seriously. No one can say for sure that the world keeps going after they die. Because how would you know? Maybe you're the one who the world can't exist without. I mean, there has to be someone, right? One person dies and the universe is like, that's it, straw that broke the camel's back, I'm done, peace, there's no point in doing this anymore if people are going to keep keeling over on me.”

“That’s so stupid.” I rolled over on the grass and looked at him. “Billions of people have already died, and here we are.”

“But it only takes one person.”

“And that person’s going to be you?”

“Hey, you don’t know me.” He laughed. His breathing was getting noisy.

I said, “Of course I know you. That’s the point.”

“Yeah.” His breath caught, and he coughed some more. “You’re pretty lucky to know me, let’s be honest.” He was wheezing pretty badly by then.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK, so HOW LONG do I have to wait before I can read all of this? MG isn't really something I love love love...but this? This is...good. :)

Marieke said...

So much love!!

hannah moskowitz said...

<3

Ant--about a year. I don't have a date yet...I'll announce it all over the place when I do!

Phoebe North said...

Solipsism FTW!

kuyr53e said...

IS VERY GOOD..............................

Robyn Bavati said...

Love the preview. Looking forward to reading more...

yvonen s. said...

Hannaaaaah darling

Just wanted to let you know I wrote this blogpost thing based off of our Twitterconvo, because it kept eating at my head. Not sure if it's exactly what you were getting at but it's stuff I wanted to say regardless. If you have extra thoughts/insights I would love love to hear them because you are my babymama and therefore what you say shall mold our baby into a pinnacle of awesomesauce! Muchos love

http://www.eye-fight.net/eyefight/2010/9/17/when-young-adult-literature-stopped-evolving-normality.html

yvonne

Rayvenne Black said...

"Maybe you're the one who the world can't exist without." awwww I nearly teared up for a second. Really great writing and preview. Thank you for sharing!

Unknown said...

A theme is like a moral of a story. Themes are what stories depend on most, a theme is the stories lesson and without a lesson in a story its not nececerly a story it would just be a bunch of facts on paper.but if you could throw a theme in there you would have a story!!!