Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Point of No Return

I just passed 10,000 words on the manuscript I'm working on (All Together with Feeling, still.) Generally, I consider 10,000 words to be my point of no return. It's where I've invested too much in a book to give up on it.

Granted, this isn't foolproof--I've given up on books at 15K, 40K, 52K, but usually if I reach 10K, I'm in it for the long haul.

Do you have a wordcount that works as verification that the ms is going to work? Or are you one of those freaky people who finishes everything she starts?

3 comments:

sharpierae said...

One of the freaky people.
Of course, that brings the grand total up to TWO.

(actually, maybe that's not true. I have beginnings and notes to a lot of things, but I haven't given up on them... I feel like I haven't really STARTED them yet.)

I hope All Together with Feeling enters into your pantheon of finished works!

hannah moskowitz said...

Thanks babe! So do I.

And whatever you're doing, it's clearly working ;)

Anonymous said...

10k is about my point-of-no-return too. Can wait to pick up All Together With Feeling in a B&N sometime soon!

(No, really. You have get it published. Or else I and all my choir geek friends will attack you.) :P